Writing Blogs For SEO: What You Need To Know
Learn SEO tips for blogs that will take your blog to the next level.
Writing blogs for SEO often gets mistaken for throwing keywords into every header and paragraph. The end result is usually an unpleasant reading audience for readers. But that’s not what SEO writing for blogs is about. On the contrary, SEO is quite important for blog writing.
SEO will help show search engines such as Google that your blog has the relevant resources that web visitors are looking with regards to a given topic or industry. The major difference between SEO for marketers and bloggers is how the information is relayed. Most bloggers, especially the newcomers, use tactics that end up being counterproductive.
SEO Tips For Blogs You Should Know
The good thing is that SEO best practices have been fairly consistent over the years despite constant changes to search engine algorithms. Here are a few SEO tips for new blogs that can help you get started;
- Your audience comes first and not getting on top of the search engine results pages (SERP). With the Hummingbird update and the growth of voice searches, search engines focus more on the intent of the search than just pushing web pages to users based on keywords.
- Establish yourself as an authority within your niche with high-quality content. Relying on SEO content farms for blogs is the surest way to water down the quality of your website and scare away visitors.
- Be ready to invest in SEO tools. Just like social media marketing, there are a number of tools that can make writing blogs for SEO more effective. These include keyword research tools such as Google Keyword Planner, rank tracking tools, and on-page optimization tools.
- Make use of multimedia content such as images, explainer videos, and infographics. According to Xerox, visual content improves readership by up to 80%.
- Leverage social media to increase visibility. Facebook has over 2.6 billion monthly active users globally. Twitter and Instagram among other social media also have a huge number of active users. These platforms can help give your blog the exposure it needs.
Creating blog high-quality content can be difficult and time-consuming. But it is only through quality content that you can keep your audience engaged and rank higher. Here are the steps to writing good content for your blog with SEO in mind;
i) Take time to think everything through
It is important to take time and think about what you want to write. If you are forgetful, write down your thoughts. Research thoroughly on the idea you intend to write about and what you want to communicate. This not only helps you come up with great content but also saves you time when you start writing.
ii) Outline the structure of your blog post
Create a clear structure for your blog post. It will make it easier to read. Generally, blog posts are usually structured into three parts- the introduction, the body, and the conclusion. The introduction gives the reader a glimpse of the topic and what to expect while the body gives an in-depth discussion of the topic. It contains the main message of the post. Thereafter, you give a conclusion outlining a summary of the post.
iii) Choose a title for the blog post
In some cases, you will have the topic to write about before you even begin the first step. But normally, this comes after brainstorming ideas and structuring how you want to communicate those ideas. Then you choose the best title that will grab the readers’ attention. It should also be optimized for SEO. You should, however, be cautious to avoid writing a clickbait title.
A good title should;
- Have a maximum of 12 words.
- Contain your target keyword.
- Give an accurate description of what the reader should expect in the post.
- Interesting enough to your target audience.
iv) Don’t forget about meta descriptions
Meta descriptions are used by search engines to give a summary of what a post entails. They help to build up interest in your post and get web visitors to click on your link. Ideally, a meta description should have less than 200 characters. The meta description comes immediately after the title.
v) Make good use of headings and subheadings
They help readers to skim through your content and also improves SEO. Headings and subheadings, if used properly, can immensely improve the structure and flow of your post. If possible, include the keywords in some of the headings in a natural manner.
There are a number of ways in which you can improve the readability and quality of your blog post. These include keeping the sentences and paragraphs short and linking to other authoritative sites. You should also optimize the length of your blog post. A minimum of 300 words is good enough. But it should not be too long that it scares away readers.
The high number of websites on the internet increases competition for visibility. Source: Flickr
The internet has over 1.5 billion websites. Even though only less than 200 million websites are active, competition for traffic is still high. These SEO tips for blogs can help you get started on writing for your audience while also ranking well on search engines. They are intended to help you get organic traffic to your blogs. With proper on-page SEO, you can focus on creating awesome content building relationships with your audience.